Understanding “Cool Roof” coatings

Understanding “Cool Roof” coatings

Cool Roof systems have grown in popularity in an effort to reduce the carbon footprint and the urban heat island effect.  The technology centers around light colored roofing systems designed to reflect sunlight (visual light) thus reducing overall energy use.  Most popular systems comprised of TPO, EPDM, PVC membrane sheets or elastomeric paints.

What is WRONG with this picture?

Utilizing white coatings or white membranes to reflect a percentage of ‘Visual Light’ is the sales pitch but one must know that visual light (VIS) comprises ONLY 40% of the total of the radiant heat from the sun.  The true burden on your HVAC is the ultra-violet (UV) and infrared light (IR) that both comprise the remaining 60% of radiant heat.

The highest performing cool roof systems reflect on average up to 60% of the 40% visual light that transfers as heat.  That means that of 40% of all visual light will heat load and transfers into the roof surface then into the roof’s attic creating convective heat energy.   That is the heat you feel in your attic.  Also, remember the reflection of the visual light on the roof:  What happens when the roof becomes dirty?

The Cool Roof picture DOES NOT address the true heat transfer of UV and IR electromagnet heat waves.  How does a white coating address that…ceramic technology?  These (4) compounded ceramics are designed to shatter the electromagnet heat wave just like a sound wave.  Just like Ella Fitzgerald shattered the wine glass for the ella fitzgerald shattering glass – Google Search Memorex commercial (I am aging myself because of the 1974 cassette commercial).  We have the technology to shatter the heat transferring ultra-violet and infrared light.  This NASA designed ceramic coating is truly the world’s most advanced exterior insulating and weatherizing coating system.  Throw out the outdated “R” rated insulation system!  The the future of radiant heat reduction is found in the application of ceramic technology with the thickness of a business card.